Savvy and Mandy are two of the brightest new stars on the country scene. The high energy duo are sisters and are releasing new music in 2018, beginning with their fantastic single ‘Wildfire’. Nick Cantwell was lucky enough to chat to the sisters about all things Savvy and Mandy, including the new single, how they got started, their inspirations and their fantastic Disney Radio show.
1. Hi Savvy and Mandy! To start, tell us a little bit about yourself !
We are Savvy & Mandy! We are sisters who sing country/pop music. We are so excited about our new single “Wildfire”. We feel like this song perfectly captures us and our sound, and we can’t wait for everyone to hear it!
2. You have a great new single out – ‘Wildfire’! We love the attitude, the confidence and the vibe of the track. How did the song come about?
Thank you!! I, Savvy, was the one who originally had the idea. I saw an awesome picture of this woman in a gorgeous dress standing in front of a giant fire and felt immediately inspired. I came up with the title “Wildfire” and brought that into a writing session we had with our friends Tyler Shamy and Fabio Angelini the next day. We all collaborated on the idea and it became what it is today. The song is about a woman who is unapologetically herself and knows what she wants. She isn’t afraid to say, “If you come into my life, you may get burned.” She knows her faults, and I think that there is something really empowering about that.
3. How exciting is it to have a new song out? Have you played it on the road yet? Or was the reaction to the song ‘on the road’ the reason you recorded it?
SO exciting! We are so happy everyone finally gets to hear what we’ve been working hard on for the past year! We got to play it for the first time at CMA fest this past June & it got a great response! There were even some people in the crowd who knew the words already! So that was pretty surreal.
4. You’ve made quite an impact already, with shows all over the US and in many of the best Nashville venues. What’s the best thing about performing live?
The energy! Nothing compares to it. It is such a blast performing with our full band. The crowd loves it more, we love it more, all around it’s just so much fun!
5. One answer each – what’s the best thing about touring, recording and performing with your sister?
For once we actually both agreed on this… We love being able to do this together because we always have each other’s back and no one understands one another better than we know each other. We are such goofballs and are always making fun of each other :o)
6. Have you both always wanted to be singers. Was it a case of hairbrush in front of the mirror when younger?
Mandy always has! It took me a little bit to feel confident enough to sing in front of other people, but I’ve always love to sing! And yes, there was definitely a lot of hairbrush singing…lots of Hilary Duff & Kelly Clarkson moments.
7. And is there a family history of music? Or are the pair of you breaking new ground?
Our dad sings. Besides that no one else in the family can really hold a tune :o) our dad never pursued music professionally, even though he should have, he has an amazing voice! He just used to play back in college with his friends for fun in a band. Growing up he always sang and played the guitar for Mandy and I. We used to have sing-alongs together all the time, we still do!
8. Which artists have inspired you over the years. And if you could tour with anyone, who would it be?
We have WAY too many! Some of them are Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves, Cam, Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, Dan + Shay… the list goes on and on! We would love to tour with any of those people! They’re so incredibly talented.
9. Tell us about your radio show on Radio Disney Country too.
We have always been close with the Radio Disney family ever since we were way younger. They have always been so kind and supportive throughout our journey. About a year and a half ago, we had a meeting with the head of Radio Disney, Phil Guerini, to show him some of our new music. He ended up loving the music and our personalities together, so he offered us a radio show. It is crazy to say that we are the first musicians ever to have their own show on Radio Disney Country! We have loved learning a whole new field. It has been something amazing that we never thought we would be able to do. We’ve been able to have some incredible guests on our show such as Luke Bryan, Cam, Darius Rucker, and more! It’s on every Tuesday at 3pm PST on the Radio Disney App under Radio Disney Country!
10. To finish, tell us where we can find you on social media and what we can expect from you in the second half of 2018!
To keep working on music, always. The lyric video for “Wildfire” will be coming out soon, and our upcoming EP will be released within the next few months! You can catch The Savvy & Mandy Show every Tuesday at 3pm PST on Radio Disney Country as well. We are also going on a big family vacation in August to London and Paris which we are so excited for! We have never been!
To keep up with us, you can follow us on;
Picture credit: Allyson Burhoe